Thursday, November 29, 2018

Deadlifts, progressive overload, PR max and deficits, yeah mind blown!

     Tuesday night was a back workout night and when I arrived at the gym Brandon said to me, "It's time to step it up and go heavy with standard deadlifts." Now if you don't know what a deadlift is it's a training exercise using a standard loaded barbell where the barbell is lifted off the ground to the level of the hips, then lowered to the ground. (See Gym Lingo, a vocabulary lessonLittle did I know that I was going to get an education in deficit deadlifts, progressive overload and Linear Periodization. Yeah. If it sounds technical to you then you will understand when I say I looked at Brandon like "Huh?" In fact, his first explanation I can safely say went right over my head and once again reminded me of how well educated in training and powerlifting Brandon is. He never ceases to amaze me. He looked at me and said ok. Then went on to explain it all in a way I could understand. 

     Now Brandon told me that one way to stay motivated with workouts at the gym it to set goals in squats and deadlifts. He explained how squats, deadlifts and bench are the big three when it comes to powerlifting. I looked at him with a look of shock (at least I can imagine that was the look on my face) when he told me he thought I was capable of squatting 225 if I worked up to it using Linear Periodization. Linear what?? Linear Periodization. Again I was like huh? Let's just say progressive overload. Ok. At least I can pronounce that one. haha. And then he explained to me what he was talking about. Now Brandon said a lot when we had this conversation and it all made sense and it made me want to set PR (personal record) goals and use this method to reach them. Because as I've said before, my goals at the gym keep changing. I started out in June wanting to lose weight and get in shape, then I added the goal to get strong, and as I get strong I set other goals that get me there. Tuesday night, I initially asked Brandon how much weight I could realistically squat after I reach my first goal of 135 (two 45lb plates + the barbell) for 8 reps. When he said he thought I could realistically squat 225 I thought, 'yeah ok.' But he was serious. He said I was strong enough. I just had to work up to it. Mind over matter.

     So how will I get to 225? By using a technique called Linear Periodization or progressive overload. Brandon explained that by gradually increasing the stress I place on my body during training and by doing it in cycles to max my reps I can, over a given time period, reach my goals in both deadlifts and squats. He further explained that I would begin with a weight just below my current max in a given number of reps and then gradually add weight for that rep range until I max out. For example right now my max for squats is 125 for 8 reps. For progressive overload I would begin with 115 for 8 reps and then add weight in multiples of 5 or 10 lbs (listening to my body) until I hit my max for 8 reps. I would do this over a given number of weeks or months and can vary the number of reps. Drop down to 6 reps and see what I max out at and then 4 reps etc... until I find my 1 rep max. The same technique can be used for deadlifts and the bench. So by using progressive overload I would be gradually increasing the volume, intensity, frequency or time in order to achieve the goal. He also explained how workouts should alternate between high reps and max weight. One week I should be doing a higher number of reps with not as much weight and the next week do fewer reps working on increasing my max weight. The high rep weeks may be a combination of more movements, supersets & drop sets while the fewer reps weeks may be just two or three exercises while increasing my max weight in the rep range I'm working on. He said having sufficient recovery and rest between these types of workouts is key. And by using this technique I will see greater gains in physical strength and muscle development. 

     So we started deadlifts that night with two 25's or 95 lbs with the bar. It was at this point that Brandon explained what a deficit deadlift is. So 45 lb plates are considered the standard plate when lifting. Physically 25's are smaller in diameter than 45's. So when using 25 lb plates the barbell sits lower to the ground. This is considered a deficit deadlift. The lifter exercises a wider range of motion when executing the lift as a result. So when we moved up to 45's (total 135 lbs) the movement is slightly different because there is no deficit. Soon as he put the 45's on I stood there looking at the barbell. And as if to read my mind, Brandon said, "Don't you dare get intimidated because of the size of the plates. The weight is only 10 lbs more than what you just did." We had worked up to the 45's. But yes, the size of the plates suddenly changed the game for me. But it didn't take long for me to get over it mentally. I did 135 for 12 reps. When I finished Brandon said, "add a 10." and I finished with a max of 155 for 12 reps. Not bad for my first deadlift day. 

     Needless-to-say after deadlifts and the explanation Brandon gave me my head was spinning (just a bit) and I even said to Brandon, 'boy, do I hope I get it right when I blog about it. Because you know I will." So when I sat down to write this I went and looked up the internet definition of progressive overload and Linear Periodization just to see because I hadn't heard about it before Brandon explained it to me. What I found was the explanation for progressive overload was exactly what Brandon had explained in layman's terms. But the explanation for Linear Periodization was so technical I think my mind exploded when I read it. Which again reminded me of how well educated Brandon is in what he does. He explained the science behind the technique and then explained it in a way I could understand. Everyone keeps telling me that I should be able to do this on my own now that I've been training with Brandon for 7 months and I always say, 'No, there is still so much I don't know.' Well Tuesday's workout is a great example of what I mean when I say I'm not ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and comment. I hope that what you read helps inspire you in some way! Have a great day!

Follow me on IG:
triciaannleibig.liveyourbest
www.triciaannleibig.com

Sometimes we just need a break to deal with our shit

    I recently decided to take a break from social media and the stress associated with it. It wasn't something I consciously decided. B...